Mystery's Games
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mystery's Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Questions About Adventure Maker

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mystery's Games
Game Developer
Game Developer
Mystery's Games

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Questions About Adventure Maker Empty
PostSubject: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 8:19 pm

In this thread you can ask general questions about the usage of Adventure Maker.

For specific questions (about scripting, technical problems etc.) please visit the Official Adventure Maker Forums where you will find helpful members Smile

Last edited by on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysterys-games.ch
Lilliputt
Game Developer
Game Developer
Lilliputt

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 3:08 pm

I am having great fun working with Adventure Maker, I think many of the features are very practical... butaaa... I have question. It's about creating a hotspot that is available on more than one frame. It sounds so fascinating but I am not sure how that would work in a game. I found an explanation here http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/techniques.htm#frames_merging but that only partly tells how it works, not why. I am just curious and would like an example if possible Questions About Adventure Maker Begging

Another matter that has nothing to do with this. I was hoping for some place to post general questions and suggestions in this place... butaaa... I think I got lost again Questions About Adventure Maker 09
Back to top Go down
Mystery's Games
Game Developer
Game Developer
Mystery's Games

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Indeed, Adventure Maker provides a lot of features for point-and-click adventure games. Happy

About your question:
The "Runtime Frames Merging" offers you an easy solution for many different situations. Basically, it makes your work much easier. Here some basic examples:

• You would like to create a timed game. In this case you can create a countdown by using VBScript, create a frame where the time counter is created, and with help of the "Runtime Frames Merging" feature, you can display the elapsing time on every other screen.

• You would like to have a score or a status bar shown on all screens (or many screens). You can create them on 1 screen, add the necessary VBScript to the hotspot, and with the "Runtime Frames Merging" the score or the status bar will be shown on all screens upon your choice.

• You can use it to create a hotspot for a magnifyer, or a map, that should be available on all screens (or many screens). Instead of creating that hotspot on each screen separately, you create it only on 1 screen, that is then merged with all screens where the manifyer or map should be displayed and used.

Hope that gives you a first idea about the "Runtime Frames Merging" feature. Smile

I don't quite understand what you mean with your hope to find a place for general suggestions and questions Question What would those suggestions and questions refer to?
Back to top Go down
Lilliputt
Game Developer
Game Developer
Lilliputt

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Really?! Happy But... thaz great!! Happy:D:D:D Thank you very very much for the answer. Questions About Adventure Maker Sml%20%2814%29 It clears things up a lot, yes, and will be useful in the imaginary third game we is gonna create Questions About Adventure Maker 09

About the other matter... suppooooose... uh.... for arguments sake that is Questions About Adventure Maker E050...juuust wondering if there is gonna be a forum games subforum *blushes Questions About Adventure Maker Blush2* But here is the thing... this doesn't seem to be the proper place to ask such a question, you see....
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 38

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 8:26 pm

I'm glad to hear that Mystery's post helped to clear your question Smile

About your other question:
Currently we haven't planned to add forum games. This forum has mainly been created to introduce games by Mystery's Games, to provide help and hints on them, and to open a discussion among hobbyist game creators and artists in particular. In case we notice a strong interest in forum games by the majority of members, we might reconsider this decision at a later time. But for now, the focus of this forum is on development of adventure games.
Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://mysterysgames.heavenforum.com
Lilliputt
Game Developer
Game Developer
Lilliputt

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:37 pm

That is cuz she is the best ever Happy Happy Happy Happy *Feels happy to get good help from Mystery*

I see. Ok, thank you very much for the answer. I will hope the majority will have an interest then, eventually. I have no doubt this site will grow very fast Smile
Back to top Go down
Lilliputt
Game Developer
Game Developer
Lilliputt

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 5:47 pm

I am sorry for double posting, I hope you don't mind. I have been waiting for someone to post so I can ask this other question I have. Just to make it clear I have the full edition of AM and have been poking around with insertion of video clips for my games. It is possible to choose WMV files but whenever I try to run the game I get an error message.
"Error description: Error while attempting to play the following file "nameoffile.wmv". Automation error."
I have so far only been able to make avi files work but I would rather not because an avi file is much much larger than wmv. Is it really possible to use a wmv file in AM? Question

Another problem I have also experienced is if I want to begin my game with a video clip. The problem here is the size of the frames. If I run a video clip using a frame that is larger than the clip it is not possible to hide the frame behind the clip, i e the clip does not run in it's own frame but on top of the frame set to run the clip. I have only managed to come up with one solution and that is to make a very small frame to start the clip and then have the timer run so that the next frame is shown as quickly as possible. However, doing this means an unavoidable "jump" between frames. I was wondering if there is any other way to start a game with a video clip? Question
Back to top Go down
Mystery's Games
Game Developer
Game Developer
Mystery's Games

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 7:23 pm

Hi Lilli,

No problem because of double posting in this case Smile

For your first question about WMV files:
It is possible to use WMV files with Adventure Maker, I have tried them myself with success, but it can be a bit tricky.
You can find an answer to a similar question on the Adventure Maker forums by the software creator (GM-Support) here: http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3130

For the second question:
Video and Flash files run always on top of frames (they are kind of embedded in frames).
Now it depends what you want to do how you handle those files:
- What settings have you tried? Have you tried to set the video fullscreen on the Action Tab? Does this work, or is the video played at real size? In that case, have you tried the "strech" option, and set its target size to the size of your regular frames?
- If you wish, can also run a small intro video on top of a solid frame (e.g. black), and then set the timer to go to the next screen. In that case you don't need to create a very small frame, but can embed the video on a frame with a specific color that will surround your video.

Let me know more details about your second question how you have tried to embed the video Smile
Back to top Go down
Lilliputt
Game Developer
Game Developer
Lilliputt

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 8:22 pm

For the first question I will follow the link given. I have Windows Vista as well as the member who is asking the question in the provided link. Thank you for sharing Questions About Adventure Maker Smile

For the second:
Yes, I have tried all the available options in the Action Tab but I still have the problem of making it work as I would like. The stretch option doesn't help even if I set it to the size of the frame and I have no idea why that is because it seems like a logical option. The clip seem to get the same height and width no matter what I do. confused Also, I have been able to adjust the placing of the clip but there is always a part of the frame behind it showing on the sides.
I have also thought of the second option, i e try a black frame and then set the timer to go to the next screen. The problem is that I will still get a little "jump" because the clip is a pic of the same scene as the next frame. It's of course not a major issue, I was just wondering what my options are and if I have missed anything. Questions About Adventure Maker Smile
Back to top Go down
Mystery's Games
Game Developer
Game Developer
Mystery's Games

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 8:26 pm

How big (I mean now the MB) is your video file?
If it's not too big, you can give it to me, and also the next image with the scene. Then I can try, too, and see what happens.

EDIT
Oh, and what is the target size of your frames?
Back to top Go down
Lilliputt
Game Developer
Game Developer
Lilliputt

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 8:48 pm

Ahem... you kinda sorta a' ready have the unfinished game, dear da alien. Questions About Adventure Maker Blush2 It's the one with the rain generator Wink
It is our biggest project and I am in doubt if we will ever get it finished *sigh*. The project frame size is custom set to 871 X 530. Thing is, the next two frames are also set on timer with fading transitions. So far I have only managed to make it work with an avi file and as you know the clip is short but the file size is a -go-and-hide-myself-size (24,8 MB) Questions About Adventure Maker Shy

EDIT: Btw, I realized that it is possible to check wmv files with Media Player 6.4. only it is too old to run on Vista Crying or Very sad I dunno how to encode for another version than Media Player 11 confused
Back to top Go down
Mystery's Games
Game Developer
Game Developer
Mystery's Games

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 6:59 pm

Sorry for the long delay.

I'm going to do some testing with embedding small sized video files into bigger screens asap.
(Btw, sorry, I have not much space on my laptop, so that I can't keep files for a long time, therefore I don't have your video file anymore).

Hmmm, I have no idea either at the moment how you could check the compatibility on Vista. I run XP, so that I can't test it. Gonna look around if I find an answer somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Lilliputt
Game Developer
Game Developer
Lilliputt

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 5:36 am

I will send the video clip to you soon but at the moment I am wrapped up in a really crazy idea :haha: I just realised how to make hotspots work as drag and click without using the inventory. It sorta works too Questions About Adventure Maker 09 I am INSANE I tell you LOL 2

I still have not seen anyway to solve the avi thing anywhere on the net but I will keep looking Smile
Back to top Go down
Mystery's Games
Game Developer
Game Developer
Mystery's Games

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 3:26 pm

Sounds great happy dance

I'm currently too busy anyway with other stuff, but I'll experiment with videos as soon as possible.

Great to hear that you are working on new games Smile
Back to top Go down
Lilliputt
Game Developer
Game Developer
Lilliputt

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 3:36 pm

Happy
Well, now that I realise how to make it work I have all the frames and icons to finish it. Hopefully it will be done soon and then once again pplz will be amazed by the almost logical Lilliputtish logics Questions About Adventure Maker 09 Happy

Last edited by Lilliputt on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mystery's Games
Game Developer
Game Developer
Mystery's Games

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 3:40 pm

Lol, I'm looking forward to playing it thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Lilliputt
Game Developer
Game Developer
Lilliputt

PostSubject: Online trouble   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 3:27 pm

I have created an online game with AM, just a small demo... butaaaa... I seem to have problems with firefox for the timed event. For some reason it works better on IE.
I have changed the index page slightly because I wanted a link inserted so that the gamer can choose to go back in order to restart the game for example. I was wondering if this may cause a bug for the timed event confused
Back to top Go down
Mystery's Games
Game Developer
Game Developer
Mystery's Games

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 11:46 pm

Could you PM me the link to the game, so that I can doublecheck the differences between FF and IE?
Back to top Go down
Lilliputt
Game Developer
Game Developer
Lilliputt

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 11:50 pm

Uhm... but you have already got a PM about the game. *Feels confused* Anyway... I will send a PM, yes Smile
Back to top Go down
Mystery's Games
Game Developer
Game Developer
Mystery's Games

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 12:34 am

Thanks! Didn't know you meant that game, I thought it was another one Wink

Hmmm, my general impression is that frames need pretty long to load in both browsers, even with a fast internet connection. I haven't noticed big differences between FF and IE.
What kind of image files have you used? JPG or BMP?
Back to top Go down
Lilliputt
Game Developer
Game Developer
Lilliputt

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 12:47 am

Ah... okay Smile

I used JPEG. Just a few frames. Cannot say why they take long to load but that is really not my main concern. I have tried on FF several times but the last timed event that happenes won't load. It is odd because others do not seem to have the same problem confused
Back to top Go down
Mystery's Games
Game Developer
Game Developer
Mystery's Games

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 12:49 am

No, I didn't have this problem either, all timed events worked for me in FF and in IE Smile
Back to top Go down
Lilliputt
Game Developer
Game Developer
Lilliputt

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 12:57 am

YAY! Thank you... ahem... and thanx for playin' Questions About Adventure Maker 08
Back to top Go down
Mystery's Games
Game Developer
Game Developer
Mystery's Games

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 1:03 am

Really nice game! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions About Adventure Maker   Questions About Adventure Maker I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions About Adventure Maker
Page 1 of 1